Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Snake Mountain Excurison

At the top of Snake Mountain, elevation 1286 ft.
Up until last weekend, and the occasional day trips I have taken to Smuggs with friends, I had seriously been lacking with the outdoor element of my Vermont college experience.  My weekends had gotten used to window shopping, coffee shop exploring, and trying out new restaurants downtown.  I was more than okay with this, because I still have yet to get over how awesome Burlington is, but there is so much more of Vermont out there for me to explore beyond the metropolitan area of Church Street. 
This past weekend, I figured a change of pace and a break for my wallet wouldn't hurt, so one of my friends and I signed up for a snow shoe trip with the Saint Michael's Wilderness Program.  The trip was my first with the Wilderness Program, because although I wanted to sign up for a hike in the fall with the program, I never got around to it.  

Early Sunday morning, my friend and I packed the giant backpacks that were rented to us by the Wilderness Program and went off to meet our trip leaders in Alliot for our first trip.  We were the only two students who signed up for the trip, so the four of us took in the Saint Michael's van shortly after 8. Our plan was to snowshoe around Abbey Pond, but the four of us decided to take on a challenge a bit closer to campus, so we decided on Snake Mountain.  
It was a beautiful day, not too warm or cool, and the sun was shining.  Something I'd missed after all the snow last week! When we got to the top, there was a huge platform overlooking the Adirondack mountains.  The view was worth the climb and something that my iPhone pictures don't even do justice.  It was one of the best Sundays I have had in a while and I can't wait for my future adventures with the Wilderness Program.  

Get out there, climb a mountain and breathe some fresh air!


Panoramic view from the top


No comments:

Post a Comment