Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Comfort Zone

I've always been one to write New Year's Resolutions, and this year was no different.  I scribbled a list of about fifteen things I want to do differently, or habits I want to keep up with in 2014.  This year, however, my resolutions all seemed to be similar.

With my first semester of college under my belt, I feel like I've learned more during these past few months than I have in a long time.  I learned how to calculate financial ratios, how to work with a team effectively to start a business, how to write a memoir, and the basics of philosophy.  I learned to love my business major and classes at St. Mikes, how to do laundry, how to take responsibility for myself, how to look out for friends, how to manage my time, and how to live independently from my family.  

Some things came easily, and some things I'm still figuring out.  But, in what seemed like a flash, in four quick months, I was one-eighth of my way done with college.  I learned that college is too short stay in your comfort zone.  Going to class and doing homework are what college is for, and your GPA is important. However, a college education will give you more than just a degree if you let it, and the life experiences, friends, and stories you can gain from stepping out of your comfort zone are priceless.

 Netflix, spending a night in, and closing your door are all comfortable things to do.  They are easy to do, and hey, there's nothing wrong with enjoying them every once and a while! Taking care of yourself is critical, and without sleep, alone time, and managing stress, everything else becomes tainted.  But I've found that it's equally, if not more, important to make sure your life has some sense of adventure to it and to step outside of just existing.  Life is all we get, so fill it with friends, love, nature, spontaneity, laughter, curiosity, and little moments that make us truly appreciate the beauty of the world.  Stay positive, and smile. Do what you love, love what you do, and try something new.

 

"Life is inherently risky.  There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing." - Denis Waitley  

No comments:

Post a Comment